Why Professional Development is for YouAdministrative Assistant Resource
February 6, 2014 — 1,714 views
For people working in a professional field, it is important to know about the significance of developing themselves in their profession. It is a very competitive world out there and only the fittest can survive, so you need to update your skills regularly and learn new things that will help you grow in your respective field. Many of us get confused as to what constitutes professional development. It normally makes use of formal process such as live webinars, workshops, conferences, on demand webinars and many more. However, professional development can also take place in an informal set up, for instance when you discuss your work with your colleagues, or by observing how they go about doing their work.
Advantages of Continued Professional Development
You must take a serious look at what lies ahead in terms of your professional career and know whether your current employer will be able to satisfy your development needs. If not, you have to take control of your career and maintain a documentary evidence of your work profile. As an administrative assistant, and with the constant change in technology, you will have to be on your toes to be able to fulfill your career ambitions. Some of the advantages of going through a professional development process are:
- Getting a clear idea about the latest trends and how the business world is shaping up, as well as in which direction the technology and society is moving.
- You will be in an advantageous position to anticipate and recognize any opportunity that will come to you in the future.
- You are likely to have a rewarding and fulfilling career in the long run.
- You are liable to become an indispensable resource for your company and it will reward you adequately to keep you associated with it.
- Your employment in the future will be secure as innumerable companies will offer you with handsome compensation.
- You may even get to be in a position to lead and influence others in your company by setting a perfect example.
Types of Professional Development
With the existence of a wide variety of professions these days, there are many different types of professional development programs available that suit people with different needs. Here are some of the most common types of professional development programs:
- Mentoring- You will get an opportunity to reflect on your awareness about your work and how you can refine it by talking to your senior.
- Consultation- Here a group of individuals will get to address the concerns on how to go about with a process of problem solving.
- Technical assistance- This is needed to improve the performance of an organization's support staff to increase efficiency.
Apart from these, there are many other ways to conduct a professional development program as it varies from company to company. However, it remains a vital aspect in your career and needs to be taken seriously.